History


The Women’s Center is housed in historic Cunningham Hall, the first building built for women in Washington. Cunningham Hall was named for Imogen Cunningham, a trailblazer who graduated from UW in Chemistry in 1907 and became one of the world’s first professional female photographers. Since its inception 100 years ago, the Women’s Center has served the community in numerous ways, including providing a meeting place for the suffragists who fought for women’s right to vote in our state.  These meetings culminated in 1910 when Washington State became the fifth state to award women the right to vote. The Women’s Center at Cunningham Hall continues to serve the women and girls on campus and in the community with programs and services geared toward facilitating success in their personal, professional, and educational goals.

Advertisements